Airline ancillary revenue continues to grow because it delivers consistent benefits for airlines and consumers. Ten years ago, the top ten airlines, as rated by total ancillary revenue, generated $2.1 billion. Today, the top ten airline total has jumped to $29.7 billion.
This year’s CarTrawler Yearbook of Ancillary Revenue by IdeaWorksCompany discloses:
- Revenue made from activities such as frequent flyer points sold to partners.
- Fees for assigned seating.
- As well as, commissions from hotel bookings.
It also reveals that the top performing airlines are largely low cost carriers, with a couple of global network airlines appearing. For example, the top producers (from various ancillary revenue sources) by global region are:
- WOW air $48.87 (Europe & Russia),
- Spirit $50.97 (Americas),
- AirAsia X $33.12 (Asia & South Pacific)
This report describes the very best of ancillary results on the global stage, whether measured as total revenue, a percent of revenue, or on a per passenger basis.
Click here to sign up for the CarTrawler newsletter.